Just a comment on larger scores. I find a 17" score too long to handle easily in rehearsal. It hangs over the end of the stand and sort of "droops" causing the pages to be difficult to turn.

Clearly some scores really need the extra length, but I find 11x14 a very good option for a larger score. It fits the stand nicely so that the pages turn easily and the aspect ratio allows for larger print while leaving the format very similar to a letter size score. It's not a standard size (although it is a standard size for photographs) but it's easy enough to just print 11x17 and trim 3" from the bottom of the paper.
Just a thought...

Richard Smith
http://www.rgsmithmusic.com

Lee Actor wrote:
I bind my 17" scores with a 14" binding, but I have irgert flush against
the bottom of the score and leave the 3" without a binding free at
the top. Any place will do it (but they don't have to in my case now
that I have the Akiles coil binder! Thanks NPC Imaging!) and it is
very convenient.

Christopher

Why not bind the entire 17" length, which the Akiles CoilMac can do easily?
As for the coil itself, you must already be using 36" coils to make your 14"
binding, so getting two 17" lengths from one 36" coil works out well.  As
far as I know, Kinko's only stocks 12" coils, which is one of the reasons
(among several) that I bought an Akiles CoilMac several years ago and can do
all my score production in-house.  The only time I ever go to Kinko's any
more (besides FedEx) is now and then to have a ream of 11x17 paper cut to
11x14.

Lee Actor
Composer-in-Residence and Assistant Conductor, Palo Alto Philharmonic
http://www.leeactor.com