-----
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Brooklyn, NY

On 8 Aug 2008, at 11:34 PM, Williams, Jim wrote:

Darcy,
Every trumpet player who has looked at a Leduc solo publication (99.99999654% of good players) will understand Trompette Ut. We low brass players who use Leduc pieces (98.98657% of us) have seen Tuba or Baryton Ut and the dreaded Tuba or Barytone Sib, an awful thing with transposing BASS clef.

I am looking at Daphnis & Chloe and it says Trompette en Ut. Hardly modern, but Ut will be universally understood as C trumpet, ie non- transposing.

________________________________

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] on behalf of Darcy James Argue
Sent: Fri 08-Aug-08 23:19
To: finale@shsu.edu
Subject: [Finale] French terminology

Hello,

I'm engraving a new opera for a French composer and I'm wording about
a specific piece of terminology -- "Trompette en Ut" or "Trompette en
Do"? I have a vague feeling "Trompette en Ut" is archaic, but I don't
have any recent French orchestral scores to check against.

Cheers,

- Darcy
-----
[EMAIL PROTECTED]