On 11 Aug 2008, at 8:32 AM, Craig Parmerlee wrote:

From my experience, the number who would use the sounds without upgrading is darned near zero.

Well, obviously that's not the case. The vast majority of Finale users don't buy a full Garritan product. In fact, I would guess that the vast majority of Finale users don't use any Garritan sounds, and stick with the SoftSynth sounds exclusively.

Finale is much more generous with its selection of Garritan sounds than Sibelius, incidentally.

If the sounds could be mixed with other synthesizer voices, then definitely it would be used a lot,

Garrtian instruments can be combined with the SoftSynth sounds, and (in Fin2009) with any other AU/VST sounds.

but the bundled Garritan sounds are just too restricted to be a good solution for just about project.

Come now. String quartet? Brass quintet? Chamber orchestra? Piano trio? Classic trumpet-tenor jazz quintet?

Users who need a full orchestra or bigband or concert band will obviously upgrade to a full soundset, but there are plenty of people whose needs are met by the included instruments. (Which was expanded in Fin2009, BTW.)

Cheers,

- Darcy
-----
[EMAIL PROTECTED]