-

2009/6/27 Darcy James Argue <djar...@earthlink.net>

> Hi Andrew
>
> On 26 Jun 2009, at 6:47 AM, Andrew Moschou wrote:
>
>  You can do the next best thing and say put the text at 130 mm (or
>> whatever)
>> from the top margin.
>>

> But this is not the "next best thing." If I want a 96 pt. page turn arrow
> vertically and horizontally centered on a 9" tall page, what values do I
> enter? Well, it depends how tall the font arrow glyph is. But how do I know
> how tall it is? I would have to buy a font editor to find out. And then what
> if the client decides they want 9.5" tall paper instead, mid-project?
>
> The whole UI for this is a bit absurd -- Finale can do this easily,
> Siblelius makes me eyeball it.

If it's not the next best thing, then what do you propose is better that it,
but not as good as vertically centred text? You will need to do some
calculation:

Call the page height p (say 9"), the top margin t (say 0.5") and the bottom
margin b (say 0.75"). Call the font size a (say 96 pt), this is the distance
from bottom of descender to top of ascender.  Note that 72 pt = 1", so a =
96/72 = 1.333" and 1" = 25.4 mm. Now the distance from the top margin to put
the text is:

(p - t - b - n*a)/2
= (9 - 0.5 - 0.75 - 1*1.333)/2
= 3.208"
= 3.208*2.54 = 81.5 mm,

where n = 1. In my testing, I found that this calcuation is accurate to
within about 2 millimetres. I don't know where the error came from.

Note that this calculation applies to a single line text. If you have two
lines of text, then set n = 2, etc. If you client wants decides to have 9.5"
paper, then set p = 9.5 and recalculate the value. There is no need to open
the font in a font editor, the point size of the text tells you how tall
each line is.

Andrew