On 28 Jun 2009 at 9:56, Christopher Smith wrote:

> For example, in
> previous versions, metatools for dynamics were not preassigned.
> Starting from (I think) version 2002, 4 for forte and 7 for piano,
> with all the others stepped in between, is so simple and logical, yet
> I didn't think of it when I was coming up with my own homegrown
> assignments, and I gladly adhered to the intelligently-chosen Finale
> defaults as soon as I could.

I find the pre-assigned dynamics metatools useless. Indeed, I usually
delete many of the dynamic marks from the expression list, because I
don't need ffff and pppp, and almost never use fff or ppp. I have
always mapped my dynamics in this fashion:

1  f
2  p
3  ff
4  pp
5  mf

And that's it. I don't need metatools for any of the other dynamics,
because I don't need other dynamic marks regularly enough to need
shortcuts.

Mapping them in order from loud to soft would be completely
counterintuitive to me, as it would mean that the most commonly used
dynamics (the ones in the middle) do not get the lowest metatool
numbers.

All that said, the great thing about metatools is that, whatever the
defaults, you can change them to suit yourself. That's good program
design.