Hi Andrew,

On 26 Jun 2009, at 9:22 PM, Andrew Moschou wrote:

If it's not the next best thing, then what do you propose is better that it,
but not as good as vertically centred text?

I didn't mean "this is not the next best thing" literally. My point was that the solution you propose is not at all comparable to just selecting the option for vertically centered text.

You will need to do some
calculation:

Call the page height p (say 9"), the top margin t (say 0.5") and the bottom margin b (say 0.75"). Call the font size a (say 96 pt), this is the distance
from bottom of descender to top of ascender.

No, it isn't. There are differences between glyphs. Some are taller than others. Some have descenders, some don't, etc.

There is no need to open
the font in a font editor,

Yes there is -- see above.

Regardless, even once I know the actual height of the character (or lines of text) I'm trying to center vertically, having to run these calculations is an enormous pain in the ass. Finale's had vertically centered text for as long as I've been using the application -- there's no reason why Sibelius shouldn't be able to do this quickly and easily and without the user having to break out a calculator.

Cheers,

- Darcy
-----
djar...@earthlink.net