John, you can use the similar combinations to move your cursor around as
well. Just don't use the Shift, as that does the selecting of the text.
eg Ctrl-Arrow will move the cursor a word at a time. I just hold my thumb on
the right Ctrl key and use my little finger on the left or right arrow key.
After a while it becomes second nature, which helps to explain my
frustration when using a Mac.

Have fun

Frank