Long-time lurker here. I had to jump in to say that on a PC it's perfectly
possible to select text in Word (and many other programs) using combinations
of the Ctr and Shift keys and the Home and End keys and the left- and
right-arrows.

eg, Move cursor to where you want to start. To select to the end of the
line, just hold the Shift key and hit End. Voila!
Shift-Ctrl-End will select to the end of the document, etc.

My experience with Macs has however been a bit different, although I
understand you can get software which will emulate this behaviour.

I try to use the mouse as little as possible and these short cuts allow for
this.

Hope this helps - cheers

Frank