Mark wrote:

"why do they use a Finale example that hasn't had music spacing or update layout applied?"

As I indicated, the essay used bad Finale output as a strawman in its argument. It's too bad because the case for Lilypond could have been made on its own terms or — if more subtly — in reference to good Finale output. That said, the amount of Finale output which I see out there from casual users which has (1) no music spacing applied, (2) no layout update, (3) the last measure of the piece sitting in a single measure system stretching across the page, and (4) default Times Roman typeface, is sometimes startling. There has definitely been some poor communication about some essential features of the program and this has more than likely contributed to some popular misconceptions about Finale.

Daniel Wolf