I believe strongly that there should be a diversity (as opposed to a mono- or duoculture) of notation programs and, through I use Finale for most of my work, have kept a numbers of programs on my computer and keep eye and ear out for new developments.

At the moment, I take the following programs seriously, some not neccesarily as complete packages, but at the least as niche products; unfortunately many program developers are rather shy about supplying score examples on their webpages (which is precisely why some comparison benchmarks would be useful):

Free software:

MuseScore, a WYSIWYG program, still in development but at present at least as useful as the lite versions of Finale, the scores look rather good;

GNU LilyPond, text-based (Denemo provides a rudmentary front-end); not particularly useful for new music, but rather good for standard classical repertoire.

Rosegarden (Linux), a workstation, but useful as a front-end to LilyPond

Commercial Software:

Berlioz, the examples I've seen are quite beautiful, reflecting traditional French engraving styles; the inputting style is very close to that of a traditional engraver in the first two stages "saisie" and "decoupage", with only the final "gravure" really unique to the computer; it's apparently en route to becoming open source which is quite a good thing.

Capella, apparently has a large user base and it seems capable enough, at least for amateur and student use, but I haven't been able to get the demo to work and there are not enough score examples online.

Forte, certainly good enough for intermediate use, has a clear interface (I particularly like the ruler function, which allows input of notes directly at their metric position in the measure, filling in rests before and after).

Graphire Music Press, now no longer in development, but the last version is available from a third party; this was the "best notation program you've never heard of", with a great work flow and extreme flexibility in layout, and it is regretable that it has stalled. This is the product that would benefit most from an open source release.

Igor Engraver is apparently out of business.

Lime, a perfectly good piece of software for student use, but has some extra features (i.e. a tuning table, assigning particular pitch bends to each note + accidental combination; can handle multimetric polyphony) that other programs do not have and may well be useful to more serious users.

Musedit for amateur use only
Mozart for amateur use only

Notion as part of a very good workstation; have not seen enough examples to judge the notation capacity.

Harmony Assistant as part of an interesting workstation; the out of the box notation style is clear and modern in appearance and I believe that the notation can be significantly modified. The "rules" system is very powerful, but the program is so rich in capacity (and buttons and microscopic text) that it can be overwhelming.

Overture, successor to Encore; I haven't seen any score examples.

Score: the current Windows port is apparently so poor that the program is almost unusable.

Turandot, a nice little program from Hungary, very stable with nice looking out of the box output (very similar in look to EMB editions), suitable for standard classical repertoire. Well-suited for students. However, development stopped at version 1.0 due to legal threats from one of the major notation programs.