On 2 Jul 2009 at 1:52, Daniel Wolf wrote:

> My experience does differ from yours in one respect: I find the output of
> the three free programs I've mentioned here (Berlioz, MuseScore and
> LilyPond) to be superior to most of the less expensive programs (Mozart,
> Igor, Capella).

I don't think I made any kind of assessment that you might compare
your own to. I made a general statement about the quality of
engraving I encounter on the free score sites and did not say
anything about any particular program. Indeed, I can't say I have a
specific impression about any of these programs -- I just have a more
general feeling that what I've seen is not impressive. I'm
particularly unimpressed with the stiff look of Lilypond output,
which reminds me of Finale from the days of Petrucci.

I also think it's quite interesting that most of the activity
creating new notation apps is coming from parts of the world where
Finale and Sibelius are very expensive. The conclusion seems quite
obvious to me.