You can (I believe) set up a staff style to hide the contents of your
drum part from the MM rest generator. This will let you hide it in the
part while leaving it in the score, if both are in the same file. I
believe the alternate notation "Blank Notation with Rests" is what you
want.

But there are some other ways to skin this cat than multimeas rests. I
do a similar trick with a part that tacets to end of piece. The trick
is necessary if there are meter changes, double bars, etc. that
prevent the part from being combined in a single mm rest. I simply
show the first bar of the tacet on the end of the line, then cram the
rest of the tacet into a single staff system on the next line. Then
hide that staff system with a staff style. Once it is hidden, it can
be moved anywhere it is not in the way.

Another option is zero-width bars, but they can be hard to edit.

I used Fin08 and never have any trouble with losing my hand-edited mm
rests. But I also have automatic layout turned decidedly off. (I hate
it anyway.)

On Sun, Sep 13, 2009 at 1:56 PM, Dan Tillberg <d...@tillberg.org> wrote:
> [...]
> certain MM rest either for symbol or number display, I gather that I need
> to turn off the "automatic update" for the entire document.
>
> I try to understand what is then NOT taken care of by Finale when it comes
> to creation and updates of MM rests. Have I understood the manual
> correctly that the only thing that will not work automatically is if I
> decide to enter notes in a bar earlier "covered" by a MM rest - then
> Finale does not automatically break it? Or are there other caveats if
> turning this option off?
>
> In any case, I have tried to edit MM rests also with the "Update
> automatically" off. That is fine...until I want to make sure that all MM
> rests are in place before starting to fine-edit the parts. Then I select
> "Multimeasure rests | Create for parts/score..." and voila my edits to
> existing MM rests are gone.
>
> I guess I am doing something stupid here but I can not figure out what.
> Anyone who can explain to me how I can make sure that
> * MM rests are in the right places and with the right "lengths" (number of
> sequential empty measures)
> * Manual edits to MM rest do not suddenly vanish
>
> Thanks
> /D
>
>> Turn off update automatically. You can manually create MM rests as
>> needed.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> - Darcy
>> -----
>> djar...@earthlink.net
>> Brooklyn, NY
>>

>> On 13 Sep 2009, at 4:48 AM, Dan Tillberg wrote:
>>
>>> All,
>>>
>>> I have been explicitely asked by my drummer to try to keep the drum
>>> part
>>> down to two pages, which is understandable and should be possible for
>>> parts where there might be long periods of slash notation without
>>> any cues
>>> or other tempo/rhythm markings.
>>>
>>> My first attempt was to actually delete the contents of the relevant
>>> parts
>>> of the drum staff, leaving default whole note rests and let Finale
>>> create
>>> multimeasure rests that I intended to modify (see below). I am not
>>> perfectly happy with this solution since it looks in the score as if
>>> the
>>> drums actually shouldn't play in this section.
>>>
>>> So my first question is what would be the "industry standard" way of
>>> dealing with this given that you for instance want to conclude 12
>>> bars in
>>> the space of one bar and write something like "Play 12 bars" or
>>> similar?
>>>
>>> My second question relates to the edit of the multimeasure rests I let
>>> Finale create: after having created the rest I go into Page mode for a
>>> part, select the bar containing the multimeasure rest, choose Edit
>>> Multimeasure rest (either by right-clicking or from the Edit menu),
>>> for instance enter 999 in "Start numbering at ___ measure" (to