At 6:44 PM -0400 9/13/09, Darcy James Argue wrote:
Hi John,

Carl gave you a whole bunch of reasons why the "play 8" indication can be a problem -- the most important of which is that there's no room for the drummer to write in his/her own kicks or cues (as there is when it's just slashes).

Well, I did say (more or less) "when appropriate," or at least when a straightforward part seems to call for nothing beyond a normally creative steady beat. But the original question was how to get rid of all the empty bars, if I remember correctly, and that would indicate no need to let the drummer write his (or her) own part rather than feeling it. This summer I wrote a 28-minute Broadway retrospective, and did the drum part exactly as I described. No problems at all, but of course we rehearsed it, so it wasn't sightread on the gig. I knew my drummer pretty well, and gave him what he needed.

John

--
John R. Howell, Assoc. Prof. of Music
Virginia Tech Department of Music

"We never play anything the same way once."  Shelly Manne's definition
of jazz musicians.