However going to 10.5 you will lose your ability to run Classic (OS 9) programs

Moving the OS to a new hard drive is painless. Totally painless. Carbon Copy Cloner, or any number of utilities will do it for you. For free. You won't have to reauthorize Finale. The only program that complained to me was Digital Performer. Everything else was just fine being moved back and forth. Plus, if you do that you automatically defragment your hard drive.

iDefrag will work on a drive that is "online" but for better results you need to boot off another drive or something. Another util that does defragmenting and other things is TechTool. It even makes a bootable DVD for you. I highly recommend it.

I cannot find the article about moving the Mac Mini to firewire. But I ran my G4 mac mini off a firewire drive and it was a faster. I mean, 7200 RPM 3.5 inch drive compared to the laptop drive in the mini, which might have been 4200 RPM depending on the model.......