On Wed Oct 21, at WednesdayOct 21 4:59 PM, David W. Fenton wrote:

And questioning the integrity and honesty of the only people who can
fix Finale seems to me to be quite counterproductive (you think they
don't read the list? Maybe they have stopped after being constantly
pilloried as liars by people like you).

Sorry forgot this part.

Some of what comes off as dishonesty on the part of MakeMusic is just the way all software companies seem to work. I think they might want rethink parts of their way of working. For example we see the ridiculous web of questions we have to click around and type into on their tech support page as actively discouraging asking technical questions. It may or may not be true, but it comes off like they don't want to hear about our problems.

I got a response that I read as evasive from one of the tech support reps once, and I called her on it. I wrote back and pointed out exactly the places in her response that I read as dodging, hedging and condescending and why, and said that I was getting this kind of tone consistently, not just from her, from other reps when I wrote it. I pointed out that I was a long time user with a fair bit of experience and a large number of students, and if there was a bug, just to say, "Right! A bug! It's on the list now." with maybe a workaround if I needed one. I noticed a month or two later when I was asking questions again that the tone (of a different rep) had tightened up quite a bit. He didn't use the word "bug" (may have been expecting too much!) but he acknowledged the problem and said it was high priority. I wonder if my complaint had changed things, but the support staff are much more straight-talking than they used to be. That comes off as honest.

Christopher

(sorry for all the verbosity, but I'm at home recovering from flu and have itchy typing fingers.)