On 21 Oct 2009 at 12:35, Howey, Henry wrote:

> The central fact remains -  those who adopt early are beta-testers -
> unpaid beta-testers. This is fundamentally dishonest.

A few points:

1. I know of no paid bet testers for any software.

2. Bugs don't define software as "beta" because all software ships
with bugs.

3. you can bet that there is only very seldom a bug discovered by end
users that is not already known by the Finale developers.

I don't recommend the original releases of Microsoft's products and
they have a lot more capacity to ship software with no significant
bugs than MM does.

Certainly, over time Finale seems to be getting worse in regard to
number of new bugs in new releases and the count of old bugs that
don't seem to get stamped out.

But that's incremental change, not a wholesale difference.

As to the charge of dishonesty, I just don't see how you can make
such remarks. You are alleging company-wide bad faith. It might very
well be that the marketing folks are to blame for pushing a release
out the door before it's ready, but you can bet that the programmers
are not happy when that happens.

I also don't see what you think you accomplish by alleging
dishonesty. It's not going to get one line of Finale code fixed. It's
not going to get one feature added, or one bug stomped out.

It *does*, perhaps, make you feel good, and perhaps I should just
read it not as a factual assertion about reality, but as evidence of
your state of mind. That is, perhaps, valid information for the
Finale developers, i.e., to know that long-term users are annoyed,
but it's expressed in a way that seems to me guaranteed to lose any
sympathy from those who can actually fix the problems.