On 22 Oct 2009 at 13:43, Christopher Smith wrote:

> On Thu Oct 22, at ThursdayOct 22 8:20 AM, David W. Fenton wrote:
>
> > 3. you can bet that there is only very seldom a bug discovered by end
> > users that is not already known by the Finale developers.
>
> Wow.
>
> I must be really, really lucky (or unlucky), or the developers don't
> tell the tech support people what they know, because easily 2/3 of
> the issues I report are previously unknown to tech support.

Er, tech support != developers.

> Maybe I
> should take that bet, as I should profit from my uniqueness
> somehow... 8-(

Tech support in a company as small as MM may act as the Quality and
Assurance department, so they'd know a lot about bugs in the
codebase, but they won't necessarily know the details that the
developers know that would allow them to see a specific problem
report from a user as simply another manifestation of an existing
bug.

A specific customer-reported issue that is new to tech support may
just be a new surface manifestation of a particular underlying
problem, one that emerges only at runtime in particular environments.
In other words, what you see is not so much the bug itself, but just
evidence of the bug.

And my assertion is that the underlying problems that lead to these
specific new surface-level issues are almost never going to be
unknown to the development team. I know this from long experience in
my own work as a programmer. It may be something you've never seen,
or a specific set of behaviors that no one else has ever seen, but
it's very likely that the trigger for it is something that is neither
new nor unknown.

That wasn't clear from what I wrote, but I was *thinking* it! Why
can't you just read my mind? :)