At 7:45 PM -0200 10/29/09, Haroldo Mauro Jr. wrote:

To me it is inconvenient because when I use Speed Entry with an external keyboard, I keep my eyes on the screen and don't look at the keyboard. If I hit a wrong note when entering music, my ears warn me, so I can play the right note before it is entered. If I play the wrong note in Sibelius, the wrong note goes into the score, so I have to stop and fix it. That slows down the process. it is easier and faster to detect a wrong note and correct it at the keyboard than to edit the score. Could one edit a wrong note in Sibelius as fast and easily as moving a finger to an adjacent key in the keyboard?

Up or down arrows, with one's hand already over the number keypad. Perhaps not as fast, but not too slow. Correcting wrong accidentals might take more mousing and keystrokes. But entering notes with an external keyboard (left hand only, if your right is on the number pad) is by far the quickest of the possible note entry possibilities in Sibelius as well. I'm not a keyboardist, so I've never attempted real-time keyboard note entry.

Not arguing one way or the other, since I grew up entering pitch and duration simultaneously with pencil or pen and ink.

John

--
John R. Howell, Assoc. Prof. of Music
Virginia Tech Department of Music

"We never play anything the same way once."  Shelly Manne's definition
of jazz musicians.