Let me expand upon that. Choir octavos are printed so the lyrics can (barely) be read by singers, holding the music a few inches below their face, but the conductor, who has his or her music much father from the eyes, is not included in the equation. Other than xerox-enlarging every single piece that I conduct, which is impractical, mostly I just squint, guess, and smile.
Ray Horton wrote:
I agree with you 100%, Mark.

Raymond Horton
Minister of Music,
Edwardsville (IN) UMC

On the larger question, I am generally of the opinion that lyrics are always printed too small. Obviously that rule can't be taken to the extreme, but I almost never see lyrics that are bigger than they need to be, while I often see lyrics that are smaller than they need to be.

mdl