On Jan 13, 2010, at 7:38 AM, Christopher Smith wrote:

I put it all on 8.5x11 paper at a 12 point fixed font size for lyrics.

I too would endorse 12-point fixed, for anyone who can manage to fit it. That's my usual goal for a choral part that will be on-book in performance.

For soloists, or choral parts that will be memorized, I often do 14- point unfixed at 75% reduction, which amounts to 10.5-point.

I would say anything less than 10-point is too small for Times. In a typeface with a larger x-height, 9-point may be tolerable, but no smaller than that.

mdl