At 8:23 PM -0500 1/22/10, David W. Fenton wrote:
On 22 Jan 2010 at 20:13, John Howell wrote:

 At 12:24 AM -0800 1/22/10, Mark D Lew wrote:
 >On Jan 20, 2010, at 8:33 PM, David W. Fenton wrote:
 >
 >>Why isn't this fixed in Finale? Surely it's something Sibelius does
 >>by default, since it's so braindead wrong in Finale!
 >
>Can you describe algorithmically what you think the fixed program should do?

 No way, not even on a bet!

Isn't it actually quite easy to describe how melismas should be
handled?

 But I can say that of the notation
 programs I've used, Sibelius has the best lyrics handling hands down,
 both the easiest to enter and the best to look at by default.

 So I guess my answer would be that the fixed program should do what
 Sibelius already does.

Sibelius handles melismas without any problems?

All I can say is that I haven't seen anything that I hated, which means its handling is pretty transparent. But I'll try something and let you know.

John

--
John R. Howell, Assoc. Prof. of Music
Virginia Tech Department of Music

"We never play anything the same way once."  Shelly Manne's definition
of jazz musicians.