On Jan 22, 2010, at 5:52 AM, David W. Fenton wrote:

For a syllable that is attached to a note followed by another note
(or several notes) lacking syllables, the width of the syllable
should be allocated to all the notes available before the next
syllable to the right.

It looks pretty simple to me, actually (and I'm looking at it as a
computer programmer...).

I'm trying to think seriously about this and try to formulate the process that I regularly do by instinct and intuition, and this part is the hardest problem. If I can leave the music spacing undisturbed and fit the syllables comfortably by letting them overlap with neighboring note stacks, then of course that's the answer. But there are limits to how far I'd push a syllable that aren't simply "first this, then that". Frequently I'll want to compromise by nudging the syllables some and nudging the beat chart some. I know it when I see it, but I'm not sure how I'd describe the process. Is it a simple ratio of music perturbation to lyric perturbation? Maybe, but I don't think so.

Here's another issue. If I've got four sixteenth notes grouped with a syllable on each, and three of the syllables are short ones that fit just fine but one has a long syllable that doesn't fit, then I have to add space. But I don't want to add space just around the one note and leave the other three as close as they were. Again, I want to compromise and spread all four sixteenth notes out, not exactly equally but closer to equal than to just giving space to the one with the fat syllable. Then once the notes are set, I'll nudge the syllables around between the four.

One thing that will surely never make it into an algorithm is that I'm more willing to move a syllable in the direction that centers its vowel on the note than the opposite. So for example if the lyric is "three" I'm marginally more willing to nudge that leftward and less willing to nudge it rightward than I would be otherwise, and if the lyric is "eight" then vice versa. This isn't due to any prescriptive principle, but rather a pattern of following what I consider better readability. For similar reasons, I generally nudge any syllable ending with a comma or period to the left so that the letters alone are centered. (This latter *could* be built into the program's algorithm.)

mdl