Robert:
This is not that unusual an effect for brass players. What composers
(including Ligeti) seem not to realize is that brass instruments are
designed *not to make noise* when you blow air through them, which
tends to defeat the purpose.

Me:
But just as the bumblebee that theoretically can't fly flies just fine, the effect seems to work. I suspect what's happening is that the players are making all the noise in their mouths/lips and using the instruments, in effect, as megaphones... But that's just my guess...

As for others, one that comes to mind is Steve Winteregg, who uses it in his piece "TGV" to imitate the sound of a train's air brakes.

Neal Gittleman