On Fri, Mar 12, 2010 at 3:29 PM, Neal Gittleman <nealg...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> Me:
> But just as the bumblebee that theoretically can't fly flies just fine, the
> effect seems to work.  I suspect what's happening is that the players are
> making all the noise in their mouths/lips and using the instruments, in

Speaking only from personal experience (which extends to no more than
a handful of times having to do it), it worked because the brass
players knew to invert their mouthpieces without being told. (Or
rather, enough did so that the effect was audible in the audience.)

I clearly remember what our principal trumpet said one time to a
composer who had asked fro the effect (n the middle of rehearsal in
front of the entire orch. and conductor). "You know, I have spent a
lot of money to have a trumpet that doesn't make any noise when I just
blow air through it." There was awkward silence from the composer in
return. I submit that no composer wants to be in that position, esp.
with a professional orchestra. Later I suggested the inverted
mouthpiece to the trumpeter and there was no more problem.

If you want to look like you know what you are talking about, specify
inverting the mouthpiece.