On May 25, 2010, at 8:36 AM, Christopher Smith wrote:

Click on the video to see how lyric entry and spacing is improved. Does that seem like enough to you guys who do choral music?

Well, speaking only for myself....

I do like the option to have spacing ignore punctuation. That's something I routinely fix in every piece, so it'll save me that step. I also think it would be helpful to select multiple syllables and nudge them all at once. Both of those are improvements for me, but not enough to warrant an upgrade.

The bits about about melisma spacing and spacing at the start of a measure, which others seem very excited about, make no difference to me since I would never space music based on lyrics anyway. I also don't care about spacing automatically adjusting while I type in score either, since I leave all the auto-updaes turned off.

If default spacing of lyrics is improved, that's a plus, but the video's example cited for "overall, spacing automatically looks better" didn't impress me, since the "after" result still wasn't how I'd prefer it. It follows I standard that I don't like (ie, flush- lefting any syllable on more than one note). It's not clear whether that's just an option that I can choose differently or if it's part of the improvement.

The video doesn't mention either of the things that would most interest me about lyrics, which leads me to believe they haven't been addressed.

First, like everyone here, I want access to Unicode, so I can do IPA, among other things.

Second, I want to be able to edit hyphen position, including suppressing a hyphen from the page without losing it from the lyrics text. Hyphen positioning and appearance in v2010 has serious flaws. I can live with Finale getting things wrong as long as there's a way for me to tweak it, but with lyric hyphens you can't tweak them, so that's a serious problem. If they can improve their default positioning, that's great, but what I really want is to be able to adjust them if I don't like where Finale has put them.

mdl