On Wed Jun 2, at WednesdayJun 2 12:23 AM, David W. Fenton wrote:

I understood immediately what he meant by it. Something like this:

p. 4, m. 67, tenor part
http://tinyurl.com/2f8g4kn =>
http://tearesofthemuses.com/Editions/Scores/Trio/Byrd-Walsingham-
%e03.pdf

It's a case where I want to clarify that the middle part is in 12/4
while the other two parts are in 3/1.

Heh, heh! I knew I wasn't in Kansas any longer when I saw the C time signature and there were 6 half notes in the first measure!

I suppose this is why 8th note beaming is under so much discussion, because with quarter and half notes there is no opportunity for beaming at all (except for these brackets.) It conveys quite a different set of infomation, doesn't it?

Christopher