On 2 Jun 2010 at 0:40, John Howell wrote:

> At 12:23 AM -0400 6/2/10, David W. Fenton wrote:
> >On 1 Jun 2010 at 20:17, John Howell wrote:
> >
> >>  Please forgive a very traditional musician, but what in the world
> >>  would a square bracket above indicate?  It would mean nothing to
> >>  me, so I would have to ignore it.  (As David said regarding new
> >>  notation that is not universally understood.)
> >
> >I understood immediately what he meant by it. Something like this:
> >
> >p. 4, m. 67, tenor part
> >http://tinyurl.com/2f8g4kn =>
> >http://tearesofthemuses.com/Editions/Scores/Trio/Byrd-Walsingham-
> >%e03.pdf
> >
> >It's a case where I want to clarify that the middle part is in 12/4
> >while the other two parts are in 3/1.
>
> OK, yes, I'd understand that immediately and intuitively.  I just
> don't think I've come across it before.  And was the point (which I've
> lost track of) that it means the same thing in modern music, then?

Who knows! I don't know if it means what I use it to mean. For this
purpose I specifically used dashed brackets so that I can still
reserve solid ones for indicating neumes.

> Of course the same thing happens in the treble in bar 66, and that is
> not marked.

...an error in my part. I've just changed it in my original, though I
haven't bothered to recreate the PDF and upload it. I realize that
the editorial state of the whole thing is actually incomplete (as
evidenced by m. 95 in the treble, for instance).

> And the figures starting in 108 are marked differently
> (and I agree with the groupings).

In that place, it's not editorial, but in the original. Note the 9/4
passage for half a variation starting at m. 96, followed by the
return to 3/2, but with 2:3 between the parts. This is a case where I
had the choice to keep the 9/4 in the parts that have quarter-note
triplets, but decided after I entered the music not to (the passage
is actually in 9/4 with tuplet brackets added; this made note entry
easier, but made it harder to get the notation right -- I wouldn't
make this same mistake again!).

> And the motives starting at 116 are
> especially interesting.  It's hard NOT to play the beginnings as
> syncopes.

I never know about these. I can't tell if they are syncopated, or if
they would play 8th-note groupings of 3 shifted from the beat by one
8th. Note that the passage you remark upon is a return to a rhythm
earlier heard in the 2nd half of variation 10, starting at m. 60.

> Does the transcription work as well as it looks that it should on
> paper?

Dunno. We haven't tried it yet. The idea for this was to mine the
Fitzwilliam Virginal Book for material to fill out the Shakespeare
set that we have used on our trio concerts in the past. In all cases,
I first made a 4-part transcription from the original keyboard work,
and then arranged that for trio. The 4-part Walsingham is here:

http://tinyurl.com/24t7a6u =>
http://tearesofthemuses.com/Editions/Scores/Byrd-Walsingham/Byrd-
Walsingham-%e04.pdf

Mostly, the middle two parts of the 4-part got shmushed into the
tenor part of the 3-part. Since I'm the tenor player, I was not
afraid to give myself a part that runs the whole gamut from the top
fret of the top string down to the first fret of the C string (so a
total range of two octaves). It's actually fairly unusual (though not
at all unheard of) for authentic tenor parts to have that kind of
range (Tomkins does it in a 3-part Fantasy we added to our repertory
last year, but it's relatively rare) -- in general, the tenor player
stays on the top for strings, or on the middle four, and seldom uses
all of the top five (I don't recall ever playing the bottom string of
the tenor in any context other than covering bass parts for missing
players!).

I think there are some things missing, but it gives the piece
something of an "ancient" feeling. Dunno if it's appropriate or not.

We're not likely to ever play the parts with the excessive divisions,
though -- we just aren't good enough for that.