I think my problem was different from the one you are describing. In my cases, it was 100% repeatable. There were certain measures that caused tempos to drop to about 20 BPM for several notes, regardless of what I had tapped into TempoTap. Clearly there was something in these measures fouling up the works. This was a score originally created in Finale 2004, then opened in 2010.

It was actually something in individual parts on individual measures. I inserted a new measure and copied the material from the original measure. When I copied some voices, the tempo was fine, and when I coped other voices, the problem posses up.

After re-entering several measure from scratch (which cleared the problem) I found that I could do a bulk copy just forcing COPY to move the notes and nothing else -- i.e. no MIDI data. I never did figure out any pattern to why certain voices in certain measures caused this problem.