Nigel Hanley wrote:

Cecil, in many ways I agree with you. Full stop. I 'm equally not trying to
pick a fight, but am merely attempting to understand why the original owners of
such monumental works of popular music such as the Beatles' library are forced
to undergo legal proceedings to retain their work , or archival works of genius
such as Coltrane are up for grabs by Hal Leonard, ex-drummer.

One thing to be aware of: years ago, the US firm of Hal Leonard got more into music printing and distribution, and over the years has become printer and distributor for the catalogs of a number of other publishers. I don't know who the owner to the copyright of Coltrane's music is, but there is a significant possibility that Hal Leonard is merely printing and distributing this material on behalf of the owner of the copyright, just as it does with the catalogs of G. Schirmer, the Fred Bock Companies, Walton Music, and others.

ns