At 5:40 PM -0400 7/10/10, dhbailey wrote:

Interestingly, the ownership of the involved copyrights is so murky that even the publishers have no clue anymore.

Actual story -- years ago I discovered that a then out-of-print concert band arrangement I had just purchased (and dearly wanted to perform with my community band) was missing the low brass and percussion from trombone on down the score. The work was printed and distributed by Hal Leonard, but the music was "published" (i.e. copyright was owned) by a different company. So I contacted Hal Leonard for permission to photocopy the missing parts since they couldn't provide them for me. I was told by Hal Leonard's legal office that I needed to get that permission from the actual publisher, that Hal Leonard as a corporation didn't have the right to give that permission. They gave me the phone number to call the other publisher. Which I did, and was told that they no longer controlled the copyright since they had licensed all that to Hal Leonard, so I needed to contact Hal Leonard for the permission.

Now THAT is a case where you do your contacts in writing, you keep meticulous records to prove that you tried to do the right thing, and then you go ahead and copy the missing parts and inform both companies that you're doing so. If they ever did take you to court, it would make both companies look like idiots!

But it might be helpful if we started referring to "the copyright owner" rather than "the publisher" or "the printer," since it's always and only the copyright owner who can give or withhold permission for copies. (And yes, that authority can be and is delegated; nothing's simple!)

As to there never having been someone named Hal Leonard, you're correct and I was really surprised to learn it, but it does nothing to the argument either way, except to undercut the implication that no mere drummer could ever be either a good musician or a good businessman! There WAS a band leader named Fred Waring, but he named his publishing company Shawnee Press, after his estate at Shawnee-on-Delaware.

John

--
John R. Howell, Assoc. Prof. of Music
Virginia Tech Department of Music

"We never play anything the same way once."  Shelly Manne's definition
of jazz musicians.