There is much to learn in the way linked parts functions, and there are a few
pages in the manual that address this well - required reading for anyone making
this change, I would think.  After that, Tobias Geisen's full complement of TG
Tools will do some things that make using linked parts beautifully efficient,
including Modify/Transfer Layout.  I wouldn't be without it.  (www.tgtools.de/
)
It does just what you are asking about.

Good luck with the conversion.  It takes some time getting used to, but it has
worked well for me.

Chuck

On Jan 13, 2011, at 9:28 AM, <delius...@aol.com> <delius...@aol.com> wrote:

> Since I'm of the "old school" Finale users, having really cut my teeth on
> the program almost ten years ago, I never was used to the idea of linked
> parts,  so I have continued doing the usual extraction method.  I'm starting
> regret this, especially as I didn't realize that this "unlinks" the parts
> from  the score; I thought that "linked" parts meant "linked extracted"
> parts.  I  guess I need to read the directions a little more.  Now that I've
> spent 30  minutes just making one pass to change of all things, the title,
> I'm
> really  wanting my parts to be linked again.
>
> Is it possible to do an Indiana Jones-like switcheroo, where I insert the
> part file I've been working on and laid out beautifully into the rough-cut
> part  file that Finale wants to use when I go to select the part in question?
> I  realize that for certain things I'll probably need to still use some
> part  extraction, but with that being the exception rather than the rule,
> I'll
> even  allow for some extra cleanup if it will save me some time down the
> road.
>
> Conversely, if someone has a way I can literally cut-and-paste all the
> layout changes I've made and can superimpose them on the part with minimal
> damage, that would be acceptable, too.  I don't think this will work where
> I've exploded the parts into multiple staves, though, such as my double wind
> lines.  But perhaps there's a plugin for that, too?
>
> Thanks,
> Michael Wittenburg
> Sarasota Opera

Chuck Israels