On Fri, May 6, 2011 5:48 pm, Dean M. Estabrook wrote:
> Yeah ... that makes sense .... part of my confusion lies in the fact
> that I'm transposing the work as a whole from D Major up to E-flat
> Major ... so my brain was freezing in the face of triple
> transpositions .... have mercy ...

That's how I learned to transpose back in 1967. I was copyist for Rutgers
University Wind Ensemble (not much, but it paid my expenses). We were doing
the Berlioz Funeral & Triumphal Symphony for winds & chorus. The horns were
transposed into umpty jillion keys depending on which crooks were required,
and I had to transpose that mess for F horns ... plus I was working with a
shiny wet-copy sent from Paris of the nigh-illegible full score with the
old-style reverse-eighth-rest quarter rests. Copying in India ink (or whatever
that scratch-off ink was) onto transparencies. I never learned to love
transposition.

Dennis