On Dec 3, 2011, at 9:40 AM, John Howell wrote:

> I agree with Mark in principle, but in practice
> it can be a real can of worms!  The problem he
> cites with English words in long melismas is a
> real one, simply because in English each vowel
> had a number of possible pronunciations, unlike
> several other common languages, and the singer
> has to decide which one to use right at the
> beginning of the word.

True, but the majority of these vowel issues can be reduced to questions of
short and long, and these are exactly the ones hyphenation rules address pretty
well. (Indeed, English hyphenation is complicated precisely because of the
existence of long and short vowels.) The general rule is that if a vowel is
short, you should keep the following consonant with it, and if the vowel is
long you should break after the vowel. This is logically tied to how English
spelling and pronunciation evolved, and readers perceive it instinctively even
if they don't consciously identify short and long vowels.  Even if you've never
thought about it explicitly, your entire reading experience tells you that a
short vowel sound never comes at the end of a word, and that when a word ends
in a consonant the vowel is almost never long. Thus the singer instinctively
observes the same pattern with single syllables presented alone.  The same
principle covers most vowels -- even some that aren't strictly short or long
but follow a similar pattern.

I find the worst problems are with soft c's or g's that fall at the end of an
accented syllable, (eg, pac-ify, dec-i-mate, reg-i-ster, log-i-cal).  There's
really no good answer to those.

> But it can create just as much confusion to
> "creatively" mis-hyphenate words in an ATTEMPT to
> write down what you think singers should sing.  I
> run into this fairly often in my Vocal/Choral
> Arranging class, especially when the students are
> instrumentalists and not used to seeing vocal
> music or thinking about hyphenation.  They try to
> "write it the way it sounds," and end up with
> gobbledegook that would confound ANY singers
> trying to sightread it!

I absolutely agree on this.  We discussed it on this list once before.  I think
pedagogic schemes involving pseudo-phonetic spellings or pushing all the
consonants to the next syllable as a vocal exercise make things worse.  They're
fine for lesson context where you're teaching specific skills to singers, but
for regular music no.

I also dislike phonetic schemes for languages with non-Latin alphabets, like
Russian.  If you're not going to learn the alphabet (which is best), it's still
far better to have a transliteration system that accurately reflects the logic
of the native alphabet.

> I've been writing vocal charts for upwards of 60
> years, and I strongly advise using normal,
> dictionary hyphenation in ALMOST every case.  It
> comes under "better the devil you know ..."

I agree, but that implies there is a single "normal, dictionary" system, which
isn't the case.  British publishing has traditionally followed a
derivation-based hyphenation system for word divisions, while American
publishing follows a pronunciation-based system.  The "American" system has
gained ground even in Britain, but many reputable publications still consider
the "British" system correct.  I would say that the American system (ie,
pronunciation-based) is always preferred for vocal music.  (For non-musical
prose, I personally prefer the "British" system, which, incidentally, would
never break after a soft c or soft g.)

> And for anyone who hasn't worked with lyrics in
> other languages, guess what:  the hyphenation
> rules are completely different!!!  But there ARE
> rules.  And I think my Mom knew them all.

Of the languages frequently encountered in classical music, English is by far
the hardest to hyphenate in (for the same reason it's hardest to spell in).
Even French, which has some complicated spellings, is fairly easy to hyphenate,
and other common languages in the classical repertoire are easier still.

I'm pretty sure I could lay out a clear set of rules for hyphenating in French,
German, Italian, Latin, or Spanish. Writing up a comprehensive set of rules for
English would be a challenge.

mdl