On Sun Dec 4, at SundayDec 4 8:18 PM, Mark D Lew wrote:

> On Dec 4, 2011, at 5:10 PM, Christopher Smith wrote:
>
>> Yet, you have pretty much done that. I kept your long post from a few years
>> back, and will add this last bit to it. I have never seen such a clearly
>> laid-out presentation of the issues involved in lyric hyphenation.
>
> Thanks for the compliment.  I dimly remember that post.  I tried googling for
> it, but I couldn't turn up anything.  I'd be curious to see what I wrote, if
> you care to repost it.

Here it is, complete. I think I remember editing lightly for typos (not many of
yours!) and punctuation and removing a few paragraphs that I didn't think were
germane. Some of the quoted replied are not clearly delineated in this
formatting, but mostly you can follow it. I've sent it as an email attachment
to a few students. I hope you approve.

Christopher

Hyphenation should be according to the way a good dictionary separates the
syllables. Even though some dictionaries disagree on certain words (especially
those that do not have traditional Latin, Greek, or German roots) you should
choose a dictionary and stick to its interpretation consistently.

Why not hyphenate according to the way singers are going to pronounce it, with
the consonants delayed to the beginning of the next note? Like "fu-nny" instead
of the traditional "fun-ny?" Other variations in hyphenation might go
unnoticed, but something so obvious as "fu-nny" I expect would be consciously
noticed by just about anyone.

I've worked with scores using this practice, and my conclusion is that unless
it's a special pedagogic edition, it's a bad idea. Singing on the vowel and
placing the consonants at the beginning of the next note is a basic singing
concept which needs to be learned separately anyway. The collection of singers
who would be helped by such a reminder in the hyphenation is a rather small
one, I think, sandwiched between those who already understand without extra
help and those who wouldn't understand regardless.

The more significant effect is to make the text confusing and less readable. If
I'm singing a piece and I see "fun-", I know that it's going to be a word like
"funny" or "fundamental" and I'm ready to start singing "fuh..." as I continue
on to see what's next. If I see "fu-", then it looks like it will be a word
like "future" or "fugitive" and I'm ready to start singing "fyoo...." (In
practice, all of this is probably happening reading a bar or two ahead, but the
principle is the same.)

Traditional hyphenation really is an indicator of pronunciation, albeit
imperfect. The placement of consonants relative to the hyphen is a strong
predictor of vowel pronunciation. Consider, e.g., "dem-o-crat-ic" vs
"de-moc-ra-cy". In questionable cases, a good guide to follow is to consider
which hyphenation makes it easier to anticipate pronunciation of the first
syllable alone. Thus, one would choose "ev-er" and "e-ven", but "o-ver" and
"ov-en". On first glance, that looks inconsistent, but in fact it reflects the
pronunciation perfectly.