I think sometimes that selling PDFs might be trying to monetize the wrong thing.

Selling nice printed copies is fine because not everyone can print
properly-sized sheets, nor has the ability to bind a score, nor has the desire
to put together a set of parts. Also, organizations, schools and libraries
like the work already done. (In 2010 I had an engraving job where, rather than
download & print the PDFs thenselves, an orchestra in Germany had me print,
bind and *overnight* 8 kilos of score and parts from Vermont via FedEx.)

Selling PDFs might be profitable for some. I doubt it would be for me because
of the accounting time, the maintenance of sales software, etc. And those few
that are for sale don't sell as physical copies or PDFs. I have three
beautiful ones on Lulu <http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/bathory> that have gone
nowhere, including the one available for $.99 as a PDF. My recordings at
Kunaki are selling better (they handle accounting), but I have actually made
more sales of the downloads of these
<http://kunaki.com/msales.asp?PublisherId=130775>

I can see my scores and parts, all freely available, are downloaded often. And
to me it's much more gratifying to receive an announcement of a performance, a
recording, and a fatter ASCAP royalty check (I got a surprisingly tidy
publisher's check a few days ago for performances I wasn't even aware of from
last year).

Overall I would much rather be writing music, finishing nice-looking scores,
and making them available easily than being a sales clerk, customer service
rep, web developer, and accountant.

Dennis