On 3/28/2012 2:48 PM, Ryan wrote:
> I'm curious about the price difference also. Granted, the expense of paper
> and ink/toner are not applicable when distributing PDFs, but I would think
> that the real value is the content, not the physical materials.

True, but if the publisher has to spend, for example, $20 to print and
collate a set of parts for an $80 piece, then the price of the PDF
should, in my opinion, be at least $20 less than the printed version,
since $60 apparently represents the value of the intellectual property
included in the work.  But one also has to consider the stocking fees,
the time spent printing and collating and other ancillary activities
involved in printing, storing, packing and shipping the printed music. I
realize that most businesses include a "shipping and handling" fee, but
that rarely is more than $10 for a single work, so it can't
realistically pay for the time spent in packaging or the packaging
materials plus the actual shipping costs.

So a reduction in price of between 25% and 50% seems realistic.

What isn't realistic is to charge the same for the PDF version as is
charged for the printed version -- if I'm paying the same amount, I'll
make the publisher do the work of printing and collating the parts.

--
David H. Bailey
dhbai...@davidbaileymusicstudio.com