Here's one for the weird and unexplainable.  Even tech support at MM has no
answer, so I throw it up for the edification and advice of the collective
knowledge here.

I've had an ongoing problem with Finale for quite some time.  It happens in
Finale 2007, 2011, and 2012.  I'm on a Mac 10.6.8 (but I also had it on 10.5.8
Leopard as well).  MacPro 2 x 2.8GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon.

I am a keyboard fanatic; I really don't like using the mouse unless there is no
other way.  So I have always made copious use of the built-in metatools in
Finale, ever since version 2.0 back in the dark ages.  I also have used
keyboard macro programs but this issue is solely within Finale and involves
only their metatools.

I will be editing a file and everything will be fine.  I use the numeric keypad
to execute metatools and I have a system I've developed for every tool and
every file I work in so that it is easy to remember file to file.

What happens is that all of a sudden Finale stops recognizing the numeric
keypad for metatools.  I hold down a number, click, and whatever tool I'm in,
up comes the usual dialog box as if I just double-clicked.  The numbers along
the QWERTY will work however--sometimes.  I have had numerous experiences
lately where Finale will get stubborn and NONE of the keys work, including ones
I've programmed for letter keys.  In fact, if I click in the score with any
tool, Finale will steadfastly place the last entered element I used for that
tool.  This happens with Articulations, Clefs, Expressions, you name it.  Every
tool that utilizes metatools.

Quitting and relaunching the program never helps.  Logging out and back in
works sometimes.  Restarting seems to work all or most of the time.  But the
issue keep recurring at some point, even after a restart.  And it's pissing me
off!

It's not the keyboard because I've had the same problem with 4 different ones,
wired and wireless.

Doug at tech support finally threw in the towel stating they'd heard nothing
along these lines from any other user and he tried everything he could think of
to no avail.

I then considered that it just might be a user account issue, since I've use
the same user account for the past 3-4 years or so, and it's the same MacPro.
So I set up a new, virgin user account, started editing away in Finale 2012,
and bang, this morning it happened again! Just like all the other times.

If anyone has any suggestions, advice, I'm all ears.  The new user account was
my last stab.

I am at a loss.

J D Thomas
ThomaStudios