I've never used the numeric keypad for metatools, but I don't think that is the
issue. I have had metatools stop working in the way you describe on a few
occasions. I have taken it as evidence of flaky behaviour before a crash, and
rebooted the computer. That cleared it up. It is not an ongoing issue for me,
though.

I am on a 2 X 2 GHz duo-core Intel Xeon, OS 10.6.8 like you.

Christopher