On 7/20/2012 1:54 PM, Craig Parmerlee wrote:
> I wonder if anybody has any information or informed opinion abut the
> impact of MuseScore on the commercial products (Finale and Sibelius
> particularly).  I cannot see MuseScore being a significant factor for
> professional composers, arrangers and copyists., but that is surely a
> small percentage of the market.
>
> I could see a lot of schools and church music directors switching to
> MuseScore, and that could be a significant bite out of Finale's revenue.

I know that when I taught a music theory class at a middle school a few
years ago I had the students download and use MuseScore.  That was 10
sales Finale didn't get.

But because of the ease of use right out of the box, actually, many such
musicians (students and church musicians) are using the inexpensive
product from Sibelius.  That's something that Finale still hasn't
conquered -- how to present first-time novice notation-software users
with a totally friendly elegant (to them) looking result with a minimum
of fuss.

I agree that the professional arrangers and copyists may be a small
percentage of the marketplace and for them MuseScore isn't an option
yet.  But for a large number of notation software users, including
professional composers who are working in a fairly tonal idiom using
standard notation I don't think MuseScore or Finale is the ideal
software -- many of those composers are using Sibelius quite happily.
And even some composers who are more forward thinking in their
creativity are using Sibelius in preference to Finale.

But Finale is still going strong, relatively speaking, and I am hopeful
that the proposed injection of a large amount of money to modernize the
base code of Finale will also bring some user interface changes and note
entry changes that will make it every bit as appealing to new purchasers
as Sibelius is these days.

And with Avid's stumble in the marketplace (breaking up a successful
development team and moving the development of an arcane piece of
software to other development groups that aren't familiar with the
product can't be good, in my opinion) this might be the opportune time
for Finale to grab the lead.

But as for MuseScore, it has its share of problems and while it does a
great job for the price it isn't close to Finale or Sibelius yet.

--
David H. Bailey
dhbai...@davidbaileymusicstudio.com