From: David Froom [mailto:dfr...@smcm.edu]
Sent: Tuesday, October 02, 2012 12:40 PM
To: finale@shsu.edu
Subject: Re: [Finale] Transposition Exp.

On 2 Oct 2012, at 1:00 PM, Robert Patterson wrote:

> One could discuss all day longs things that singers should and should not
> do. I think books have been written on the subject. But they are beside
the
> point here.
>
> What I am saying is, if you want the best performance out of the most
> number of singers, I highly recommend providing a C score. I have paid the
> price for not so doing and I won't make the same mistake twice.

Robert is absolutely correct here!  This is my experience, even with
well-known, successful singers, even those who have sung a lot of
contemporary music.  They simply want to be able to quickly find their pitch
from the score, and if they are constantly checking to see who is playing
and remembering what that instrument's transposition (at the moment, for
scores with switching instruments), it can seriously disrupt a rehearsal
and/or a performance.  The best singers, if you give them a transposed
score, might just ask you to make a C score for them.  I'm talking about
non-tonal music here.

Conductors keep their eyes on the whole thing all the time.  Singers have
their own part, but in performance need to look out at the audience as much
as possible, so they jump back to their score for quick reference to their
part as well as the other instruments, often jumping from instrument to
instrument for a reference pitch.  They also have to think about dramatic
projection, etc.  Why make their lives more difficult, or increase even by a
couple of hours the time needed for learning and rehearsing?

My solution is to create a C score for the singer and a transposed score for
the conductor.  Everyone is happy, no one is confused.

David Froom