Just because an open source project isn't releasing a lot does not
mean it is losing momentum. Unless you are actually making that
conclusion by looking at the source changes and whatnot in whatever
they are using to keep the source base up to date (github?).

I think finale will probably be on a less frequent release schedule,
like what it is now. They will release something when it's done. Not
every summer every year. That was stupid. There were so many
"features" that were not that. Like the ability to put in a copyright
symbol.....or yet another slur feature that is really just a bug fix
or tweak of the last versions which never worked right.

So in 2016, maybe MakeMusic will be preparing to release another
version of finale after working on it for a good two years.

Avid.....I was sort of hopeful they would do something with Sibelius.
I think it was protools 8 or 9 that started to have some integration
with Sibelius. But then......nada. Avid has been having to retool for
the last couple of years, first by uncoupling protools from hardware
in version 9, and then in version 11 they have finally shed all their
legacy code (new plugin format and no backwards compatibility to older
plugins). Their bread and butter is Protools. And it faces a huge
onslaught from Logic, ableton, cuebase, reason....to name just a few
on the software side and they face tons of competition in hardware. I
somehow think Sibelius is going to languish or be sold. Probably
languish for another year and then sold. They just have to update it
for os x 10.9 and maybe windows 8.1. Other than that, it's a mature
cash cow they don't need to really spend any more time developing.

Steinberg.....until they ship something, who knows. There are plenty
of other notation packages out there that are nice, but don't have a
real substantial user base. Plus people using Sibelius or finale
generally won't switch. I mean, I sure would have switched to sibelius
5 back in the day, but the ONE thing that kept me from doing that is
being able to open my finale files in Sibelius. Not XML or conversion
program. If a new player in the notation market wants to get people to
switch, then offer native ability to open up Sibelius or finale files.
If the notation thing from Steinberg is amazing and leaves finale and
Sibelius looking like 1980s cell phone AND offers the ability to open
Sibelius and finale files within the program.......then I'd be
interested.

Sent from my iSomething