On 9/17/2013 7:30 AM, Steve Parker wrote:
> Maybe I'm alone in not wanting every program to do everything..
Again I would look at the parallel in the DAW universe.  DAWs, per se,
don't do that much.  They are essentially "frameworks" that provide a
basic set of capabilities needed by anybody involved with recording or
interactive composition.  But the real power comes from the add-ons in
the form of

* plug-in synthesizers
* sample libraries
* plug-in effects
* libraries of loops

This is 3 or4 orders of magnitude beyond what the notation programs do
with their scripting.  In the DAW world, the add-ons are a major
industry.  I know lots of people who spend maybe $400 for the DAW, but
have spent $5000 in various add-ons.

Most of the really powerful function comes not from the DAWs but from
the add-ons.  We can thank Steinberg for much of this because they
invented the VST architecture that enabled a lot of that.  It really is
an open marketplace, not unlike the universe of Andriod or iPhone apps.
That is how you get an explosion of capability.  Open frameworks.

If a colleague wants to use a plug-in that can analyze a recording and
remove the reverb (a truly impressive feat), he or she can do that.  If
you have no need for that, there is no need for me to insult my
colleague or view him in any way as a competitor.  I simply don't care
what plug-in choices my DAW colleagues make.  I am happy for everybody
to have their choices.

We seem to have something of a Stockholm Syndrome that has developed
inside the notation world where a there is a sizable faction that is
very hostile to any open-ended thinking because they view it as an
obstacle to getting their favorite 10-year-old bug fixed.  I would
simply observe that every significant commercial program I have ever
owned has had bugs.  For me, the ones that have the least annoying bugs
tend to be the products that are driving forward aggressively because
they have the most revenues coming in, some of which can be used to fix
bugs.