On 2013-09-17 07:05, Craig Parmerlee wrote:

> 1) In 2013 I shouldn't still have to fiddle with layouts on my parts.
> How many Finale releases have we seen that bragged about great new
> algorithms that avoid collision of printed elements?  Yet, I still have
> to manually edit every &^%%$#$#% part by hand just to achieve the most
> minimally readable parts.  That would be a breakthrough -- one that
> might have expected in 2000, not 2014.

It's your choice. I usually try to do the layout with one button click
for all parts at once (adjusting dynamics/artics/smart
shapes/note+measure spacing/system spacing in one go). Then I go to
optical check.

> 2) How long have we had spell checkers and grammar checkers in word
> processors?  15-20 years anyway.  Why don't we have the same things in
> music notation by now?

You mean like in JW Validate?

> 6) Likewise, the notation program should be able to read the notes in
> all the staves and determine the most likely chords in use.

You mean like in the Chord Tool's function ("All-Staff Analysis") in
Finale to automatically analyze written notes into chord symbols?

Best regards,

Jari Williamsson