Hi Christopher,

I must not have explained myself clearly, or maybe I wasn't thinking clearly
(more likely).  Sometimes I answer too quickly - wanting to be helpful and then
discovering that I have been just the opposite!

Since I am in the habit of putting quarter rests behind slashes - a holdover
from the early days when you needed to do all kinds of machinations to get
slash or rhythmic notation, I guess I haven't had occasion to try simply
applying the staff style to see if Finale would recognize that as an "entry'
and not make the affected measures part of a MM rest.  I use the rests hidden
behind the slash staff style to control the spacing - putting in quarter rests
most of the time and smaller values when I need to make room for chords with
long suffixes - or if there are chords on every beat that would otherwise
crash.

As a matter of fact, when I run into spacing problems that I don't know how to
control any other way (when I need more space than Finale will give me but
don't want to spread measures over more lines), I put hidden rests in another
layer - rests that "push" the music further apart.  Are there better ways to do
this I am missing?  It used to be that dragging elements and bar lines to space
them by hand was unreliable because Finale would re-space things back to its
defaults after you closed and re-opened the part.  Don't know if that remains
the case, but the hidden rests seem to be reliable.

And it's OK Christopher, I try not to lose self respect even when I find I've
been wrong!  You can correct me any time.

Fond regards,

Chuck

On Mar 21, 2014, at 5:35 PM, Christopher Smith <christopher.sm...@videotron.ca>
wrote:

> Hi Stephen,
>
> With total respect for Chuck and his knowledge, Finale does NOT need a
> measure to have an item in it to prevent it from creating a multimeasure
> rest. The staff style alone would be sufficient.
>
> My previous answer is almost certainly the solution, and it is a one-step
> solution. You won't have to do it several times to the same document. This
> should save you quite a bit of work.
>
> Christopher
>

> On Thu Mar 20, at ThursdayMar 20 3:24 PM, Stephen Cronin wrote:
>
>> Thanks, Chuck and Christopher, for the advice.
>>
>> Unfortunately it's an orchestral ballet score with lots of these measures
>> spread (semi-randomly) across many parts. (Playback is not needed apart from
>> quick proof reading.) It will mean each instance must be dealt with
>> individually.
>>
>> Learnt something for the future =(
>>
>> Stephen
>> ________________________________________________________________________________