Bill, if you're using Finale 2001 then you're probably using a MIDI synth
rather than Garritan samples, am I right?  Finale just sends MIDI data and
it's the synth the generates the sounds.  Finale has lots of irritating
habits, but I think it's unfair to blame Finale here.

First off, are using a Percussion map in staff attributes?  The map moves
notes from their true pitch to the lines and spaces that drummers
understand.  If you're using a map you might need to check which sounds have
been activated. You won't hear the snare sound if it hasn't been set.  If
this is confusing, I suggest you change the notation style in Staff
Attributes from Percussion to Standard, and then you'll be able to hear
every percussion sound on its relative line/space on the staff.

Unlike the other channels, where each note has a different pitch, on channel
10 each semitone has a different instrument.  As you drag your note up and
down on the staff, you'll hear only the sounds which fall on notes in the C
scale (i.e. the white keys on a piano) and you're skipping over the sounds
assigned to the black keys.  If you sharpen the note (using the + key in
speedy) before dragging you'll find there are a lot more sounds you hadn't
discovered before, and hopefully you'll find what you need.  Having said
that, the snare drum sounds are on notes in the C scale, so there might be
something else going on here.

The manual has a chart showing which percussion sounds are on which notes on
channel 10.  It's called the General MIDI Percussion Map Table, in the
appendix section.  The acoustic snare drum is on note number 38, or D2
(where middle C is 60 or C4).  The electric snare is on note 40 (E2).

Hope this helps.

Peter