Ah, you're not defining which notes you play to get the sound you want, you're
defining where the snare drum note heads appears on the staff. To enter a snare
drum note in speedy entry, you'll always use midi note 38. Finale will place it
on the staff wherever you define in the percussion map designer.
This distinction confused me for some time as well.

Sent from my iPad