Will you be able to duplex the 12x18?

To print 11x17 booklets from Finale, first set up your page sizes.

Page Layout>Page Size = Letter
File>Printer Page Setup>Page Size = Tabloid (or 11x17)
--choose landscape printing orientation

Finale is creating letter size pages. Your printer will print them on 11x17.

File>Print
In print dialog window, select:

Two Sided. (it's next to "Copies" on my system)
Layout: 2-up
Ignore Printer Margins for N-up printing

In the page range, type the page numbers as you want them to be printed on
the sheet. The printer considers the left side of the page to be first to
print, but in a booklet that's the last page. For a 4 page booklet, you'll
want "4,1,2,3." Pages 4 and 1 will be printed on one side, and pages 2 and
3 will be printed on the other. Eight page booklets would be
"8,1,2,7,6,3,4,5." (I used to have a text file with the page orders for up
to 40 page booklets, but now if it's more than 4 pages, I'll let
PDFClerkPro do the impositions for me.)

Here's a screen shot:
http://imgur.com/Gwa5eXk

Then, in the same print dialog, under Layout, select Two-Sided: Short-Edge
Binding.
http://imgur.com/76GPvDO

You may have to define some additional printer settings under Paper Feed,
Paper Handling, etc., to get proper results. Each duplexing printer I've
had seemed to need different settings to achieve the same output. My
printer puts a little bend in the sheet after printing, due to the heat of
the toner being applied. I sometimes choose "Reverse page order" so that
the printer prints the document backwards. It still is correct in the
booklet order, but having it print in reverse makes the bend go "inward"
and it's a bit easier to staple the booklet together.

This only works if your document is 4, 8, 12, or any multiple of 4 pages
long. Insert blank pages into the document or add at the end as necessary
to fill out the booklet. I don't recall Finale crashing, but the printer
never would receive the data for a document with the incorrect number of
pages. If you tell it to print page 4 first, but there is no page 4, Finale
just stops processing the print queue. A PDF imposition program will add
blank pages for you at the end automatically.

Good luck. Hope this works for your printer.