My workflow (Mac) is to use Booklet Creator. I could swear I got it for free,
but that was many years ago. It seems it is now $9.99 in the app store.

My first step is to make a pdf file of the Finale file. I work, as much as I
can, in 9x12. I keep this as a my reference file. I like storing pdf because my
publisher wants my music this way (in non-booklet form), and because nothing in
the score is subject to upgrades and feature adds (things that, over the past
25 years, orphaned some of my older music).

Booklet Creator puts itself into the print dialog's pdf drop down menu. So I
open my 9x12 pdf score in Preview, make sure I've selected Paper Size 9x12 and
Fill entire paper, then, in the pdf drop down menu, choose Create Booklet. My
booklet is made in about 2 seconds. I print (to my HP5000) with this workflow:
Paper size is 12x18
Fill entire paper is selected.
Paper Handling is set to "odd only" (then, for the second pass, "even only."
The paper goes straight through to the back exit in the printer, so it is ready
to flip without any reordering. After the second pass, it is ready to staple.

The whole thing is very fast. I need to get up once to flip all the pages. When
I quit, the booklet goes away unless I choose to save it.

The issues: One needs to do a fair amount of back-and-forth folding to get this
to stay open. I usually forward fold the whole book, then bend it completely
backwards at every page. For more than 12 pages (three sheets of paper), the
edge sticks out in a pronounced way. You need a really good paper trimmer to
straighten that out.

Even still, this is the method of printing with which I am happiest.

David Froom