This is Finale internals now. Sorry to bore you with techy stuff, but
Finale is at heart a piece of software with internals. Despite appearances,
it's not magic.

Each frame (which is a single layer on a single bar of a single staff) has
an ID. Once the ID is assigned it never changes. So if if you delete one
and add another you'll leave a gap in the numbers. The ID is a 16-bit
value. No one, least of all anyone at MM I would guess, thinks a 16-bit
value makes any sense for a program in 2016. But this is a design decision
that goes all the way back to the 1980s when it did make sense, and it is
really, really hard to change.