Hello all,
I’m hoping for some wisdom from the group.

I’ve been in the habit of having a score file separate from a parts file —
basically, to get the score looking great, then make a copy of it to make parts
so as not to have to deal with things that conflict. The downside is that
errors I discover in the parts aren’t fixed automatically — and I fear having
two files open, having been bitten by the “overwrite” bug!

I decided, however, in my current project, to try having just one file.

I am using TG Tools to create the cues. That puts the cue into layer 4 and a
forced whole rest (no matter the meter) into layer 1.  Then, in the score, I
apply the staff style called “Blank notation with rests: Layer 4.”
Conveniently, it is triggered with the keyboard shortcut “Q,” so I assume this
was created for use with cues.

I’ve run into two problems. One is if the cue has a different clef from the
prevailing part. So, in the staff style, I indicate that it should NOT show the
clef. That’s fine, except when, in the score, the staff style starts at the
beginning of the system. Then I lose the clef there. I can work around this by
putting in a graphic clef in the score and hiding it in the part. OK. Is there
a better solution?

Problem two is something for which I can’t find a work around. In the part, I
often need to move the cue’s layer 1 whole rest, as the default position is
sometimes too high — or above the staff when I’d prefer it below. However, this
moves it in the score! I can’t seem to unlink it.

Can anyone who has mastered having score and parts in one combined file please
share some tips on how to do this? Is there a better staff style? Or a better
method?

Thanks in advance,
David Froom